Earlier this week I had the privilege to attend a screening of Marvel’s latest film CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! Marvel was even gracious enough to allow my best friend (who is a Marvel fan and the creator of the Mighty Stuffed Burger!) attend the screening with me. Now before I get more into the review, let me just say, if you have been a fan of Marvel’s Avengers series, this film is a MUST-SEE! And guess what? It’s out TODAY! As a matter of fact, I’ll be seeing the film again this weekend as many local theaters are showing double features that include the first Captain America film.
Marvel’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and Anthony Mackie. Evans returns once again as Captain America, while Johansson reprises her role as the Black Widow. The film picks up after THE AVENGERS where Steve Rogers finds himself living in our nation’s capital, Washington, DC. It’s not long before his quiet life is interrupted, and his world is turned upside down questioning who he can and cannot trust. It’s not long before he finds himself not only fighting off assassins, but joining forces with the Black Window, and new found ally, the Falcon (Mackie), to battle a new enemy… the Winter Soldier.
My Top 5 Reasons to see The Winter Soldier
1. Action, action, action! In my opinion, I believe this is the most action-packed Avenger film to date. I love a good action flick, and The Winter Solider definitely delivered. I mean, the action was intense. If you have very small little ones, you might want to wait for them to see the film. I’ll admit, there is a good amount of violent scenes. So if you definitely come to watch these super hero movies for the action, you’ll enjoy this one!
2. We meet a new Avenger! Enter Sam Wilson aka the Falcon. Now I admit, I knew of the Falcon, but hadn’t become more familiar with him until me son started watching Avengers Assemble and Super Hero Squad over and over and over again. I found Sam very likeable. He’s a veteran who takes time out of his daily life to help others, including Captain America, with no questions asked. Now I’m all left wondering is how I didn’t know until now that Fort Meade was hiding those awesome special wing packs until now????
3. Chris Evans looks good. Yes ladies (and gents!), the Captain looks just as good as he did right after he took the Super Soldier Serum in the first film. Thank you Under Armour for supplying him with more than perfect workout gear in the opening scene. Us Washingtonians will certainly welcome back Mr. Evans anytime into our lovely city if he means he’ll run around the reflecting pool wearing that ensemble.
4. Surprises galore! Okay, so I admit, if you are a fan of the comics and read them religiously, you may already know where this film is going. Yes, some may or may not consider the identity of the Winter Solider a surprise, but that’s not what I’m referring to. There were definitely moments in the film where was I was like “Wait… did that just happen???” and “WHAT?!?!!?”. There were definitely still plot twists I did not see coming, which definitely made the film that more interesting. Needless to say, I’m even more excited for The Avengers: Age of Ultron, than I was before. I mean, is that even possible? That I could be more excited? Apparently so! Oh and stay through the credits.
5. The women kick butt. I love that this film includes strong butt-kicking female characters! The Black Widow, Maria Hill, and Agent 13 all have a chance to show just how tough they really are. It’s nice to see female characters used in a way that isn’t the typical damsel in distress.
Now keep in mind these were just MY top reasons why I enjoyed the film. Yours may be different. When I turned to my best friend/viewing partner to ask him his opinion I found his answer interesting. His main reason for seeing the film… Scarlett Johansson. What ended up being his favorite part of the film? The action and plot. To me, the film has the in depth plot, it has the action, it has the eye candy… and honestly, it’s Marvel. So really what’s not to love?
The film does run 136 minutes, which may be on the little long side. I don’t feel the movie dragged, and there were not dull moments. The only reason why I was aware of the time was because I was thinking in my head how much I had to pay my babysitter LOL!
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer
Be sure to follow the #CaptainAmerica hashtag to stay up to date on the latest news and happenings related to the film.
So who is going to see Captain America: The Winter Solider this weekend?
I attended a screening of the above mentioned film in exchange for an honest review. This is 100% my own opinion.