One of my favorite family film’s I’ve seen in recent times is the Academy Award® and Golden Globe Winner for Best Animated Feature, Sony Pictures’ SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE!! If you missed it in the theatres, no worries. It’s now available on Digital, and will swing into home entertainment via 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, and DVD tomorrow on March 19!
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, tells the story of Brooklyn teen Miles Morales, and the limitless possibilities of the Spider-Verse, where more than one can wear the iconic mask. “One of the most rewarding experiences in recent months has been to hear that children are telling their parents that they see themselves in Miles, or that they want to grow up to be like Spider-Gwen, anyone can be a hero. Thats why we made this film, and we hope that feeling of empowerment is something that both audiences young and old can take away,” say Directors Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman.
As I mentioned, we saw SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE in the theatres! I enjoyed the twist on the Spider-Man tale, and the use of Miles Morales and his origin story was one I was excited to see on the big screen. We all enjoyed the film greatly, and I think that’s something that really speaks on the film’s appeal. That the whole family walked out of the theatre, impressed with the movie we just saw!
A New Look
One of my favorite aspects of the film is the unique animation. I had never seen anything like this before! The colorization had me in awe, and I loved how a comic book style was incorporated into the film’s visuals.
It’s so cool to learn about the creative design work goes into this film! (Hint hint, purchase this movie on home entertainment and you’ll learn even more on the process!) Check out some of the concept art below by Dean Gordon, Dave Bleich, and Patrick O’Keefe.
“Anyone Can Wear The Mask”
As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed that this movie presented a twist on the Miles Morales origin story. Miles is a diverse character I’ve enjoyed in the comics, and I like how the filmmakers made him more the central character, rather than Peter Parker.
Check out some of the Miles’ concept art by (L-R) Character Designer Shiyoon Kim, Visual Consultant Alberto Mielgo, Art Director Patrick O’Keefe, and Art Director Dean Gordon.
In this film, multiple “Spider-Man” characters from various universes, find themselves in Miles’s world. Characters include Peter Parker, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man Noir, Peni Parker, and fan favorite… Peter Porker / Spider-Ham!
He sure did provide some hilarious comic relief in the film! Cehck out some of the concept art work by (top) Jim Mahfood, (bottom) Craig Kellman.
If you’re looking for a truly unique animated, fun twist on the Spider-Man tale, you don’t want to miss SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE!
Plus the home entertainment versions contain over 90 minutes of bonus content. Check it out!
- We Are Spider-Man: Exploring and celebrating one of the key themes of the film, We Are Spider-Man takes a deep dive into the diversity of the characters and aspirational core that any person from any gender or cultural background can wear the mask.
- Spider-Verse: A New Dimension: With a stunning visual style and state of the art animation designed to take the viewer into the pages of a comic, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is not only a love letter to comic books but a groundbreaking take on the super hero genre. Hear from the artists and filmmakers who pushed the boundaries of the artform as they discuss their journey.
- The Ultimate Comics Cast: Enjoy this showcase of all of the fan favorite characters featured in the Spider-Verse and the spectacular cast who were chosen to bring them to life.
- A Tribute to Stan Lee & Steve Ditko: Celebrate the amazing legacy and powerful spirit of the creators of Spider-Man.
- The Spider-Verse Super-Fan Easter Egg Challenge: The Spider-Verse is loaded with Easter Eggs, from cameos to comics references. Fans are challenged to find them all!
- Designing Cinematic Comics Characters: A breakdown of all aspects of the character design including costume, movement in animation, and distinct powers for each character.
- Heroes & Hams: Meet the amazing Spider-people of the Spider-Verse.
- Scorpions and Scoundrels: Explore the classic villains who wreak havoc on the Spider-Verse.
- Alternate Universe Mode: In this all-new viewing experience, discover alternate scenes, plotlines, characters, and more with the filmmakers as your guide.
- 2 Lyric Videos
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone and Swae Lee
- “Familia” by Nicki Minaj & Anuel AA (feat. Bantu)
- All-New Original Short “Spider-Ham: Caught In a Ham” It’s another normal day for Peter Porker, a.k.a. the Spectacular Spider-Ham, fighting bad guys and loving hot dogs, until a mysterious portal starts messing with the very fabric of his cartoon reality.
4K Ultra HD Disc Includes:
- Feature film presented with High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound
- Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE has a run time of approximately 117 minutes and is rated PG for frenetic sequences of animated action violence, thematic elements, and mild language.
I received the above information and a copy of the film as a blogger via Click Communications. All opinions are 100% my own.