Earlier this month I posted about how Disney•Pixar’s FINDING DORY would be playing in Dolby Cinema at select AMC locations for opening week. It’s been 13 years since FINDING NEMO graced the big screen and I was beyond excited to check out the sequel. Yesterday I did just that. I didn’t just head to any theater though… I went ahead and enjoyed FINDING DORY in Dolby Cinema at AMC Tysons Corner 16! I was able to experience the same amazing movie-going magic, as I did previously when I saw THE JUNGLE BOOK there.
So before I get into FINDING DORY, let me chat a little bit about how incredible it is to see this film in Dolby Cinema, just in case you haven’t been before. The theater is absolute state-of-the-art from the ticket kiosks to all the upcoming movie displays. The snack bar as a great selection. You have classic options such as popcorn, soda, and candy. But pizza, hot dogs, and even mozzarella sticks were available! Plus you can’t go wrong with a convenient Kids Combo Pack for the little ones.
Know what’s really cool about this theater too? You an order your food and drink ahead of time thanks to the AMC app! Order and pay through the app, and then your food will be awaiting for you at the counter. No waiting in lines! Just pick up the food at the express counter.
Looking around the theater, I was excited to see FINDING DORY displays! It made my son and I even more excited to check out the movie in Dolby Cinema.
I experienced the Dolby Cinema Stadium seating before when I went to go see THE JUNGLE BOOK. Though I cant’ tell you enough how much I love that there is lots of leg room provided. Plus can’t go wrong with having seats that recline with a leg rest.
My son was definitely loving the big comfy seats. Plus I love that the seats are actually in sets of two. You can then pull up the seat divider and enjoy a “loveseat” size couch. This is also perfect in case you have a tired little one who wants to curl up during the movie.
So now let’s talk FINDING DORY… Obviously you know that Ellen DeGeneres is back to voice the classic character. The film takes place a year after Marlin (Albert Brooks reprises his role) and Dory’s adventure to find Nemo. It is then that the film flashes back to Dory’s childhood. Yes she’s very much short-term-memory-challenged, but sweet none the less! She lives with her mom and dad (Diane Keaton and Eugene Levy), but sadly one day wanders off. In this adventure, Dory is searching for her family, and Marlin and Nemo are there to help her along the way.
Five Reasons To See Finding Dory
1) Dory is Back – I have to say, some of my most favorite lines from FINDING NEMO actually belonged to Dory. She quickly became everyone’s favorite the absent-minded blue tang! After the film’s release, I think everyone wanted a Nemo sequel to grace our theaters once again. When the sequel was announced, and this time it would center around Dory, I’m pretty sure Pixar fans rejoiced! Yes, Dory’s sweet nature is once again seen in this film.
2) New Characters – While I was excited to see familar characters, I’m loving the new faces introduced! I have to say my favorite is Hank, a grouchy octopus, with only seven arms, voiced by Ed O’Neill. Any fans of THE WIRE? Idris Elba and Dominic West voice a pair of lazy sea lions, while Kaitlin Olson is a Destiny, a nearsighted shark. Ty Burrell voices Bailey, a nervous beluga whale.
3) Overcoming Disadvantages – In FINDING NEMO, Dory’s forgetfulness is used as a joke. She is a scatter brain and easily distracted. She can never quite seem to stick to her plan, and it’s used as comic relief. However in this film, there is more of a message of acceptance, and you’ll find inspiration in Dory when she works to overcome her “disability.” Many of the new secondary characters feature disabilities as well (missing limb, poor eyesight, anxiety issues, etc.) I love that the film celebrates the characters’ differences and uniqueness, and you will see how they learn to find the strength to overcome the disadvantages in life.
4) Friends are Family – I love love LOVE the message that your family isn’t just those you are related to. I’m lucky enough to have an amazing family, but I’m even more lucky to have friends that I view as family too. I love that Marlin and Nemo love Dory enough to help her in her search. Without giving too much away, later the movie, you’ll see Dory explain how even though she is a Blue Tang, Marlin and Nemo are her family too. That is exactly how she views them. You don’t need to be blood related to be family.
5) Hilarious Moments – There are definitely a number of laugh out loud moments in the movie. Scenes with Becky the bird cracked me up. Also one of my favorites was when Hank has to drive a truck! Again, I don’t want to give much away, but those scenes definitely had us laughing.
Finding Dory Trailer
Don’t forget! This film is out now and if you would like to catch it in Dolby Cinema for the opening week, check out the movie at these participating AMC theaters:
AMC North Point Mall 12
AMC Hawthorn 12
AMC Town Center 20
AMC BarryWoods 24
AMC Town Square 18
AMC Garden State 16
AMC Empire 25
AMC Hampton Town Centre 24
AMC River Park Square 20
AMC Tysons Corner 16
I received financial compensation via Dolby Cinema in exchange for this post. All options and thoughts expressed are 100% my own.