I am an official ambassador for Dole Fresh, who provided me with compensation. All opinions expressed below are mine.
It’s no secret that my family and I are beyond excited for the upcoming release of Marvel Studios’ AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR! The action, the stories, the mix of drama and comedy… Marvel films are some of the best! Plus as mom, I actually can really relate to the Avengers and Guardians. Just like the superheroes, parents like me can find themselves in daily epic battles too… such as the battle to make better food choices for our families, especially with meals that include fresh fruits and vegetables. Luckily, DOLE® and Marvel have teamed up together to create healthy eating fun!
DOLE® and Marvel are committed to heroic living, focusing on the mission for improving the health of families. Their new program, Powering the Hero Within, is inspired by Dole’s multi-year healthy-living initiative with Disney, created back in 2016. Dole believes that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can increase America’s nutritional health and help reverse several negative health trends, such as improper diet and inadequate exercise.
Kicking the program off earlier this month, Powering the Hero Within combines original Marvel character-inspired recipes and healthy eating tips with character images on millions of DOLE® Bananas and Pineapples in North American grocery stores!
As for fun creative character-themed recipes? You can find the recipes and nutritional information in the Marvel section of Dole’s website. Here are just a few of my favorites below!
T’Challa Teriyaki Kabobs Inspired by Black Panther
- 1/2 cup less sodium teriyaki sauce, plus reserve for brushing
- 2 cups DOLE® Tropical Gold® Pineapple, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes or shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 basket cherry tomatoes
- 2 red or green peppers, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- COMBINE 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, 2 tablespoons pineapple juice and oil; pour over meat pieces in shallow glass dish.
- Refrigerate; marinate 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Thread meat on skewers alternating with vegetables and pineapple chunks. Discard remaining marinade.
- GRILL 4 to 5 inches from heat, turning skewers and brushing with additional marinade, about 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
Bold Banana Parfair Inspired by Black Widow
- 2 DOLE® Bananas, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup quartered DOLE Strawberries
- 1 cup DOLE Blueberries
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 4 mint leaves
- HEAT grill to high heat.
- Slice bananas diagonally. Sprinkle with cinnamon and grill, for 3 minutes on each side.
- LAYER banana, yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, granola, honey, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves in parfait glasses.
- Serve immediately.
Sunrise Shield Pizza Inspired by Captain America
- 2 medium DOLE¨ Bananas, peeled
- 4 frozen whole wheat waffles
- 1/4 cup honey-flavored nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 can (11 oz.) DOLE Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 2 teaspoons honey dash ground cinnamon
- DOLE Fresh Raspberries or Blueberries (optional)
- THINLY slice bananas on diagonal.
- PREPARE waffles according to package directions.
- SPREAD waffles with yogurt. Arrange banana slices on top, overlapping. Arrange mandarin oranges in center of each pizza.
- Drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with raspberries or blueberries, if desired.
Power Punch Smoothie Inspired by Hulk
- 1 DOLE® Pear, quartered with peel
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze® Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup DOLE Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- PUREE pear and avocado with half of the almond milk in an emulsifier blender.
- ADD baby spinach and mint, process until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining almond milk, blend. Serve immediately.
Stark Industries Banana Pie Oatmeal Inspired by Iron Man
- 2 cups DOLE® Blueberries
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked oatmeal
- 2 DOLE Bananas, sliced
- STIR together blueberries, water, syrup and vanilla in medium saucepan. Sprinkle cornstarch over blueberry mixture and mix well. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- SPOON hot oatmeal into 4 bowls. Top with sliced bananas and pour warm blueberries over oatmeal.
- SPRINKLE with your favorite choice of toppings: sliced DOLE Bananas, sliced almonds, seedless raisins, shredded coconut, chia seeds.
Mighty Mini-BLT Bites
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoon light canola mayonnaise
- 4 thin slices fresh DOLE® Tropical Gold® Pineapple
- 4 slices cooked turkey bacon, cut in half
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup DOLE Butter Bliss
- CUT out three 2-inch circles using cookie cutter from each slice of toast; set aside. Lightly spread mayonnaise on one side of each circle of toast.
- CUT out eight 2-inch circles using a cookie cutter from the pineapple slices.
- SKEWER alternate layers of toast circles, turkey bacon, pineapple, tomato and salad blend, finishing with a toast circle.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to create additional skewers.
Hasbro Marvel Mighty Muggs Giveaway
Win It: In honor of AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, we’re giving away a random assortment of (8) Hasbro Marvel Mighty Muggs characters! Only one entrant per mailing address per giveaway. Contiguous US only. This giveaway ends March 25, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Winner is subject to eligibility verification. Once a winner is drawn via Rafflecopter, I will contact the winner through email. They will then have 24 hours to respond. If there is no response, I will draw a new winner. Please add mdmommareviews at gmail dot com to ensure the email does not end up in your SPAM folder. Prize is fulfilled by Dole + Hasbro. Character selections are random. Good luck!
**This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Marvel. Dole and Hasbro are the sole sponsors of these prizes, however the giveaway is solely owned, administered, solicited and operated by me.