As you all know, one of the strongest, fiercest, Avengers around made her Marvel Studios debut in CAPTAIN MARVEL this weekend! Even better, CAPTAIN MARVEL became the sixth biggest opening weekend in history with $455 million worldwide!! Starring Brie Larson as the titled HERo, the film’s release was met, well, with a little controversy so to speak. Before it even arrived in theatres, internet “trolls” were hitting review sites, like Rotten Tomatoes, and “bombing” the film with negative reviews. If you decided to pass on CAPTAIN MARVEL this weekend, let me tell you why I think you should head to the theatre and give it a chance, especially if you are a fan of the MCU.
Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios’ CAPTAIN MARVEL is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom.
Five Reasons to See CAPTAIN MARVEL
1. The MCU’s Captain Marvel’s origin story is a little bit different than what you read in the comics. The story-line is still quite similar, but there is a different twist to it. I actually like that MCU conjured up something a bit different for the films.
2. The film is set back in the 1990s. So If you’re a 90s child like me, get ready for some great throwbacks! I enjoyed the music choices, and found myself often singing along. Okay, I’m actually still singing No Doubt’s Just a Girl as I type this. Plus the Alta Vista / internet downloading jokes were on point, and totally relatable.
3. You finally found out how Nick Fury looses his eye. Now in the comics, we know Fury looses his eye in WWII. Obviously the MCU didn’t follow this story-line as from the CAPTAIN MARVEL trailer alone, you see Fury as a young SHIELD agent, still sporting two eyes.
4. If you are eagerly awaiting AVENGERS: ENDGAME, go see CAPTAIN MARVEL, for there is a tie in. I won’t post any spoilers. I’ll just say that even though the movie takes place in the 90s, you will get an AVENGERS reference.
5. Goose! Frankly, I don’t like cats. I’ve never been much of a cat person. But after meeting the adorable Reggie on set, I was excited to see Goose on screen. I found him to be absolutely endearing, and can’t wait to see him pop up again. If you follow the comics, you’ll know that Goose (or well Chewie, as he is known in the comics), has quite the interaction with a certain Guardian of the Galaxy. I would love to see those two come together on screen!
Overall, I really enjoyed CAPTAIN MARVEL. I absolutely love the MCU and see every film on the big screen, whether I predict I will enjoy it or not. I’ll admit, when it was first announced that Captain Marvel was joining the MCU, I had very high expectations. I was worried the film wouldn’t be what I had pictured and hoped for in my head. But I trust Sarah Finn’s casting.
So is it one of my Top favorite MCU films? No. But I will found it to be a great film, and I certainly enjoyed it more than other MCU films of the past. I like Danvers’ and Fury’s chemistry and banter. I thought Larson brought the right amount of cockiness and stoic persona that fits the Carol Danvers character in this story arc.
There are events in the film that to me, were predictable, since I knew the MCU was trying to do a twist from the comics. But my final thought is to ignore what you read online, and go see the film for yourself, especially if you are a fan of the MCU.
CAPTAIN MARVEL Trailer
If you’re looking for some oh-so-yummy Marvel themed recipes, check out my Infinity Stone Cookies, Captain Marvel inspired ‘Cheeseburger’ Boston Baked Beans Skillet, Infinity Stones Acai Bowl and The Mad Titan Burger, all inspired by Marvel! You can find more of my recipes as well as those of my awesome fellow bloggers in my Round Up Guide of MARVELOUS Marvel themed recipes! There are so many fabulous recipes that your family will be sure to love.
CAPTAIN MARVEL arrives in theatres NOW, and AVENGERS: ENDGAME hits theatres April 26, 2019!
I received the above trailer as a blogger via Walt Disney Publications. All opinions are 100% my own.