I am an official ambassador for Dole Fresh, who provided me with compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are mine.
Marvel Studios’ latest adventure, CAPTAIN MARVEL, is quickly becoming one of the biggest films of 2019! My family and I couldn’t wait to see the film opening weekend. I was thrilled to see another strong, fierce, powerful female gracing the big screen. She is definitely one who can inspire children and families to be the strongest they can be, mentally and physically. You know one way to achieve great strength? Eating fresh fruits and vegetables with the proper nutrients! As part of DOLE®‘s Powering the Hero Within initiative, they’ve created absolutely MARVELous healthy recipes that are not only good for you, but taste quite delicious.
I absolutely love that DOLE® is celebrating female superheroes, just like Captain Marvel herself, Carol Danvers! Its ‘Powering the Hero Within’ is a 10-week empowered-living alliance between DOLE®and Marvel’s CAPTAIN MARVEL (make sure you check out the hashtag #DoleHero!) Inspired by Carol Danvers, DOLE® is featuring influential women in food, health, and wellness, as well as female-focused non-profit groups that are working toward a healthier, more heroic world. This initiative launched back in February, and will continue through May 5.
DOLE® believes that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can increase America’s nutritional health and help reverse several negative health trends, such as improper diet and inadequate exercise, and is spreading the word to families across the nation.
According to a press release, DOLE® is inspired by a number of health-related female superheroes!
“We’re applauding the women everywhere who use their powers, whether supernatural or every day, to fight for a healthier and more equitable planet. At the top of this list are all the female farmers, chefs, doctors, nurses, dietitians, scientists, engineers, philanthropists, and others who have sacrificed over the years to give us a more fulfilling, nutritious life.”
Check out a few of the female superheroes that DOLE® admires!
- Abigail Adams, the first American First Lady to farm
- Christine Moseley, Founder and CEO of Full Harvest
- Peggy Shriver, Chief Development Officer of Rise Against Hunger
- Johanna Sylvester and Jessi Greenlee, Executive Director and Director of Operations of Movement Foundation
- Elizabeth Kunz, CEO of Girls on the Run International
Be on the lookout in your local U.S. and Canadian supermarket as CAPTAIN MARVEL character images will appear on tens of millions of DOLE® bananas and pineapples!
The DOLE banana stickers and DOLE Pineapple hang tags will feature Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, Mar-Vell, Talos, and Goose the Cat.
Superheroes in training will be directed to nine Dole fruit and vegetable recipes selected by Melanie Marcus, MA, RD, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager, for specific nutrient and health benefits important to women. These include the antioxidant-rich Berried Treasure Yogurt Cups, which can be prepared in advance to keep blood sugar levels steady throughout the day; Lemon Ginger Spring Vegetable Stir Fry as part of a fiber-rich, heart-healthy diet; and the the veggie-packed Spicy Sweet Potato and Banana Chili in Tortilla Bowls, which I included below!
Berried Treasure Yogurt Cups
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 cup lowfat granola
- 1/2 cup lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 cup DOLE® Blueberries
- 1/3 cup DOLE® Peach, sliced
Layer 1/2 granola, 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 honey blueberries in glass. Repeat layers of yogurt, granola, and honey.
- Top with peaches.
Lemon Ginger Vegetable Stir Fry
Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 16 DOLE® Asparagus Spears, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 DOLE® Carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
- 1 DOLE® Broccoli Crown, cut into small florets
- 2 cups chopped fresh DOLE® Tropical Gold® Pineapple
- 1 thinly sliced red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups DOLE® Baby Spinach
- 1 cup quartered DOLE® Strawberries
- 2 cups cooked hot quinoa
Combine in sauté pan sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, lemon peel and hoisin sauce, heat over medium high heat. Add asparagus, carrots, broccoli, pineapple, chile pepper and water, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking to desired softness.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in baby spinach and strawberries. Serve over cooked quinoa.
Spicy Sweet Potato & Banana Chili in Tortilla Bowl
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 DOLE® Red Onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, cored, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz.) DOLE® Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 2 firm DOLE® Bananas, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups DOLE® Baby Spinach, loosely packed
- Cilantro leaves, diced avocado, sliced DOLE® Green Onions, sliced DOLE® Radishes, low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (optional garnishes)
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Olive oil spray
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking 2 minutes. Add poblano pepper, if desired, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Add tomatoes, water or broth, sweet potato and banana. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fold in baby spinach just before serving.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray each tortilla with olive oil spray. Press into cups of a muffin tin, making sure bases are flat. Bake until firm and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Arrange tortilla cups on serving plates or platter. Fill cups with approximately ¾ cup of chili and garnish with cilantro, sliced green onions, radishes, avocado, and sour cream or low-fat Greek Yogurt if desired.
Which CAPTAIN MARVEL-inspired recipe would you like to share with your family?
Once you’ve decided which recipe you’d like to try, be sure to enter our CAPTAIN MARVEL giveaway below!
Captain Marvel Giveaway
One lucky reader will win a CAPTAIN MARVEL Prize Pack including:
1 Captain Marvel Super Hero Doll & Goose
Captain Marvel Popsocket
Captain Marvel Pewter Key Ring
$50 Fandango Gift Card towards CAPTAIN MARVEL tickets
Win It: This giveaway is open to US residents only. Only one entrant per household. This giveaway ends May 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST. Winner is subject to eligibility verification. Once a winner is drawn via Rafflecopter, I will contact the winner through email. They will then have 24 hours to respond. If there is no response, I will draw a new winner. Please add mdmommareviews at gmail dot com to ensure the email does not end up in your SPAM folder. Good luck!
Disclosure: This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Marvel. Dole and Hasbro are the sole sponsors of these prizes, however the giveaway is solely owned, administered, solicited and operated by me. MommaRambles.com is not responsible for prize fulfillment. One winner will be randomly selected using the Rafflecopter random selector and will be notified via email. Once notified, the winner will have 24 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or Google. Void where prohibited. This disclosure is made in accordance with the FTC 10 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements.