As part of my trip to Los Angeles, I attended an event centered around the Walt Disney Signature Collection release of BAMBI! Celebrating it’s 75th anniversary, BAMBI hit Disney Movies Anywhere and became available on Digital HD last month. Today, this fan-favorite Disney animated classic is also available on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand. What makes this Signature Collection release extra special is that it includes a variety of new bonus material, like recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of BAMBI. Plus there are deleted scenes and character, and you can learn about the stories and effects that BAMBI had on the Studio, other films and artists.
I recently attended an event in Los Angeles celebrating the 75th anniversary of this film’s release dating back to 1942. We had the AMAZING opportunity to chat with Donnie Dunagan (voice of “Bambi”) and Peter Behn (voice of “Thumper”) in BAMBI.
The interview also features an interview with Visual Development Artist, Paul Felix, who created a special Disneygram for the Signature Collection release. I absolutely love the stunning watercolor vibe of this image. Plus Bambi and Thumper are just so adorable!
On rainy days, while growing up I would always throw one of our many old VHS tapes featuring classic Disney animated movies into the VCR. At my young age, I was obsessed with animals. So naturally BAMBI was one of my favorites! I still remember when I was 5 years old, BAMBI was released in the movie theaters. At the time I thought it was so cool to see this film up on the big screen.
I love that a whole new generation of audiences will get to meet a young fawn, Bambi, and his young forest friends Thumper the rabbit, Flower the skunk, and Faline the doe. The movie is such a great tale of renewal and new beginnings. Bambi learns about life from his mother. And when tragedy strikes, he even uses lessons from his father, the “Great Prince of the Forest,” to be strong and move forth with his “renewal.” I still remember feeling such joy the first time I saw Bambi triumphed in life despite what the tragedies he encountered.
I felt that same joy once again when I watched the Signature Collection edition of BAMBI with my son. There is just something about classic Disney films that warm the heart. BAMBI is such an adorable family movie and I love how the the blu-ray format has breathed new life into this movie. The colors are bright and vivid, but still maintain the soft classic and vintage feel of older Disney animation. Actually on the Digital HD copy, there is a wonderful feature on Tyrus Wong, the lead artist for BAMBI. His work inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette. Wong’s backgrounds are actually considered revolutionary they feature more detail in the center (rather than the edges), so that they lead the audience’s eye to the characters.
… and speaking of bonus features…
The bonus materials on the blu-ray and Digital HD editions include both brand new and classic material!
• THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
• STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
• DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
• DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
• BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
• OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
• CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
• DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
• THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
- STORY: TELLING THE TALE
- CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
- ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
- ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
- MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
- HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
• TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
• INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
• THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
• ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
• THE GOLDEN AGE
In honor of BAMBI’s Signature Collection release, check out these fun BAMBI activities!!
You could host a Backyard Camp-Out and serve Trailside Treats that go right along with the movie!
Is gardening more your style? Learn how to create a “My First Garden” with these fun tips and Bambi Garden Markers!
Keep in mind that digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer.
Want to follow my adventures in LA? We can connect on Twitter (@AshBG) and on Instagram (@ashb4211). I’ll being posting lots of photos, so feel free to stalk! Make sure you follow the hashtags #PiratesLifeEvent and #BambiBluray.
I received the following information as a blogger via Walt Disney Publications. While I attended an expense paid trip by Disney to Los Angeles, all opinions are 100% my own.